Monday, July 16, 2012

Replaced oil cooler lines

This year I've been going through the various leaks on the Jag and trying to make the car a little easier to live with.

I've already repaired the coolant expansion bottle by having a local fellow retrofit the lower outlet fitting  from my Series 2 bottle onto a nicer Series 3 bottle.

And now I've just had new oil cooler lines made. Turned out to be quite an expensive affair as the whole thing has custom fittings and had to be re-used. Kirouac Fluid Industries on Blackwell re-used the existing threads and welded on a new set of crimp fittings for a new hose. Total cost was $250. Top quality work.

Not the easiest thing to remove especially with the clearance around the oil cooler but eventually got the old lines removed with two adjustment wrenches. 

Sunday, June 17, 2012

Removing air rails

Several road trips ago if you remember, I had to cut the belt that ran the A/C pulley. This basically disables both the A/C and the smog pump on my XJ12.

In an effort to clear up the engine bay I had the A/C compressor removed. Inspired by the sudden free space, I decided to remove the A/C hoses and air rails.

Managed to get most of the A/C hoses off. Just have the one left. I don't seem to have the right tools to remove it so its going to be there for a little longer.

The air rails came off quite easily since they are just pressed into the feet with an O-ring. Now to block the holes in the air rail feet I first tried some aluminium tape, but that ended up being too thin so I decided to do it properly and got myself a 8mm x 1.25mm tap and cut some threads into the little hole. The hole looks like it might be 17/64" so it cut nicely without drilling. Installed 8mm socket screws in the holes. I think a 10mm screw might have been better but this works just fine.
And yes, for those clever enough to notice, my heater hose is indeed routed incorrectly.