Saturday, October 10, 2009

Starter Woes

What I first thought was an alternator issue, that was causing the battery to die after each trip, seems to actually be starter related.

The starter seems to work sporadically. One day it will work, one day it won't. I have bypassed the start inhibitor switch but that doesn't seem to help. I have tried to jump the relay manually but that too doesn't seem to make a difference. When the key moves into Start, the headlights do not dim. Therefore the starter is not getting any power. The wiring to the starter solenoid looks pretty bad, but not bad enough to prevent connectivity, so I'm pretty confused right now.

I'd like to get some photos of a starter motor and solenoid that is not installed on a car to see how its wired. Its difficult to make out much from under the car.

No comments: