Wednesday, July 29, 2009

New front brakes

The front brakes are one of the last remaining items on the Jag that need to be replaced before I can get a Ministry of Transport (MOT) Safety certificate.

In typical Jaguar fashion it isn't the 20min job you're probably used to. The hub needs to be removed from the disc first.

The hub bolts are accessed from behind the brake disc. There is an "aperture" in the brake disc shield to aid in removing the bolts, but I found it cumbersome to use and thus removed the brake disc shield altogether. This gave me the chance to do some rust removal as well.

To prevent the hub from spinning while removing the bolts, I tied the hub to the shocks. This seems to work well, and I was able to remove all 5 bolts quite quickly once I got the hang of it.



Once all 5 bolts are removed, the hub is slid off after removing the last nut and split pin hidden under the grease cap.





The original brake disc pads had a decent amount of meat left on them but since I had new pads in hand I decided to change them regardless.

Looking closely at the brake disc caliper shows that the pistons have corroded quite nicely and will need replacing. Luckily they are not seized and if they are kept in use, they should last me a few more years.




2 comments:

Gareth said...

great seeing all this, just about to get stuck into my s1 4.2 front brakes

im surpriseed Canada has mot too, we have to use mot over here in Northern Ireland

colonial legacy around the world i guess
cheers

Vikram Ambrose said...

Well our "MOT" is only done when registering a vehicle. Its only done once per owner basically. And its no where near as thorough as the UK version. We're lucky I suppose :)