Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Removing the old brakes

How anyone is expected to do any rear brake work on a Jaguar without taking the IRS out I have no idea.

There is literally only the bare minimum of space to leverage a spanner onto any of those nuts.




Just look at that rust.

Using wheel chucks and jumping on the spanner seems to be the only way of taking any of the nuts off.

Taking off the U-joint from the brake discs was another pain in the ass. Getting the hub in exactly the right position to slide off the U-joint takes a lot of patience and strength. And once you get it off, don't think the brake disc just comes off too.Noooo. There is a lip on the lower control arm that prevents the disc from sliding out. You need to let the control arm hang down from at least 2 feet to get it to slide over. And thus if you have the suspension out on the floor like I do and not on a car, it makes it really difficult to lift properly. But don't even think you'll get to that stage with the suspension on the car.



1 comment:

Unknown said...

G'Day, I've got to give it to you - you sure have patience. My old '74XJ6L had nil rust compared to what you people in salted roads have to put up with. Anyway, it looks like you're doing a great job and I must admit I have a tinge of jealousy not for the car (which is great BTW) but for your determination. The pix are great but I shudder when I see that rust.
Good Luck. Denis